Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Early Days

I've been at VNCOC a grand total of 4 days now and because I have a spare moment I will summarize what I've done/learned so far:
  • Mental healthcare is a pressing issue in the API community. Reflecting on my own family and friends' shared experiences in suppressing any visible signs of weakness or abnormality, this doesn't come as a surprise to me. A lifetime of that can wreak havoc on your brain and its health.
  • Any Vietnamese woman over the age of 50 must love and adore me, showering me with gifts of fruit and lunches (see evidence, right) because I either remind them of one of their grandchildren or of themselves as a younger woman. Needless to say, I can't complain.
  • VNCOC has one of the only court-approved counseling services available to Vietnamese domestic violence victims and perpetrators
  • People are often averse to change. This is dangerous and can be harmful towards any organization's growth.
  • Our CEO was a former LEAP/LIA intern.
  • VNCOC would like me to help plan a fundraising gala for them.
  • The Vietnamese here are cutthroat businessmen & women. How else do they manage to sell a bowl of pho for 50% off?!
  • The Vietnamese and Mexican communities here used to have a lot of tension between them, but they have been working together and forming alliances to serve their communities needs.
  • My bosslady has a lot more in common with me than I though. Her best friend is Cambodian (many of my close friends are too). She enjoys Mexican food, and even took me on a hunt for guacamole for lunch yesterday.
Shalom,
Vi

1 comment:

  1. "showering me with gifts of fruit and lunches" yah babe, don't complain ... im jealous

    ReplyDelete